Tiny Hydra is on a mission for a crunch-free games industry with increased opportunities for professionals, and we’re looking for technical designers and tools developers to join our team! As part of this job, you will receive our in-house training to hone your understanding and skills in working (remotely) in the games industry. You will have the opportunity to gain new contacts and experiences from working on projects for a variety of game companies.
The technical designer (TD) is a bridge between game design and engineering. They often serve as a high level gameplay programmer, level or quest designer, but their primary role will be development and maintenance of tools for game designers. The technical designer identifies the weaknesses of the game design workflow and builds tools to improve the process. The TD is responsible for reducing implementation friction and technical tasks for creative designers so they can spend more time creating content instead of solving technical issues or doing busy work. We are looking for a TD with a focus on game design tools development for Unity 3D, with the experience and flexibility to also be able to develop tools for Unreal or custom engines.
What you’ll be doing:
- Solve challenging technical problems using creative and innovative ideas.
- Identify pain points and create tools to optimize workflows and help the design team iterate more efficiently.
- Work closely with the level design and gameplay teams to create tools which will allow them to quickly implement elements like: interactive objects, character behaviors, NPC interactions, and set pieces.
- Work with game designers to create and improve scripting tools, identify and maintain scripting best practices.
- Act as a technical expert and ensure the quality of tools, documents, technical support and determination, and dissemination of best practices (in collaboration with the lead designer or game play programmer).
- Assist members of the design team in identifying and solving technical issues to unblock them.
- Troubleshoot and debug relentlessly, chasing down issues on behalf of the team.
- Rapidly prototype design ideas in-engine.
- Experience creating tools and solving technical issues for design.
- At least 3 years experience in Unity 3D.
- Friendly, assertive, and open-minded.
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to clearly express ideas (spoken and written) in English.
- Ability to understand and communicate in technical language.
- Expert in C# and C++.
- Proficient at debugging.
- At least 1 year of experience in creating advanced editor tools for Unity.
- Completed a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or 1 year of experience as a TD in AAA pc/console or Top 100 mobile game development).
Nice to have:
- 2-3 years experience in Unreal 4.
- Experience with UE4 Blueprints visual scripting, or a custom game engine used by a major publisher of AAA or top 100 mobile games.
- Comfortable working in Python and/or LUA.
- Advanced knowledge of 2D or 3D art to engine pipelines for programs like Spine or Maya.
- Experience as a level designer, systems designer, or game play programmer.
- Avid gamer with a passion for creating top-quality games.
How will your workweek look?
Whether you’re a night owl or an early riser, our work hours are flexible, as long as you get the work done and are available for a few co-working hours each working day. We host bi-weekly game nights on Discord with our gaming community Funbase on the weekends. We also have Friday game jam sessions for those not actively working on external projects. Our structure is flat and our atmosphere informal. Just a small, close-knit team!
Who are we and what do we do?
We are a passionate team of people who offer game consulting and development services. We want a games industry that doesn’t need to crunch and put its people through unnecessary mental and physical stress. And we want to see new talent find their way into the industry successfully. In order to achieve this, we train and educate talent around the world and put them on short-term, remote game design and development projects. They get experience, and the game makers don’t have to crunch. Win-win!
Excited to join the Tiny Hydra adventure? Start your quest by clicking the apply here button. We look forward to reviewing your application!
Statement of Inclusion
Tiny Hydra believes that diversity, inclusion and equity are essential to building an inspiring and effective workplace. We want every team member to feel truly valued and honored for their unique stories and identities. We strive to ensure that a clear commitment to these values is at the core of every Tiny Hydra experience.